Days Until Parade
2019 PARADE GRAND MARSHAL NURSE WILLIE LARSEN
Here are just a few tidbits. She arrived in May 1953 met future husband Finn Larsen. Her employment began at the Alaska Native Hospital, located years ago in what is now the employee parking lot next to the Federal Building. The hospital closed in 1959. Medical services for the hospital patients were administered at the AK Native public health clinic, located in the basement of St Ann’s Hospital. In 1971 the ANC changed the name to SEARCH with a new facility. Willie worked in all these facilities. She was also an evening supervisor at St Ann’s. Willie spent the last 10 years of her career working for SEARCH. She retired from nursing in 1991.
She is also included in the Gastineau Channel Historical Newsletter issue on the Nurses of St Ann’s. The Larsen’s are well know for their involvement in the Casey Shattuck neighborhood.